Date:      Mon, 18 Mar 1996 09:19:35 -0700
From:      Barnacle Wes <wes@obie.softweyr.com>
To:        joerg_wunsch@uriah.heep.sax.de
Cc:        freebsd-chat@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Application Development (fwd)

   As Ollivier Robert wrote:
   >  I seem to remember old SysV (3.0 or maybe even 2.x) didn't have
   > a mkdir(2) syscall and that was why /bin/mkdir was setuid-root in
   > order to mknod the directory. That's probably "legacy code" from
   > these days :-)

   J Wunsch replied:
   % Hmm.  Really SysV?  I thought the ``one-step commit'' for directory
   % creation was older.  At least, the ISC SVR3.2 i've once been
   % playing with did already have mkdir(2).

SVR2 (as in Microport System V/AT, my first home UNIX system ;^)
didn't.  Exec'ing mkdir(1m) was very common in those days.

--
   Wes Peters	| Yes I am a pirate, two hundred years too late
    Softweyr 	| The cannons don't thunder, there's nothing to plunder