Date:      Mon, 12 Oct 1998 08:30:06 -0400 (EDT)
From:      "Paul M. Balyeat" <pmbalyea@mtu.edu>
To:        hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   devfs?

Ok, I'm not sure if I'm mailing this to the right people, but this is a
tech support request.
Anyway, yesterday morning, I woke up logged into my machine (running xdm)
checked my mail (used ssh) then killed all connections and went to
breakfast.  Looking over the logs indicates that noone logged during
this time.  Came back and tried to logon, xdm would authenticate me, but
wouldn't let me in, the authentication window would simply vanish.  I
dropped into single user mode and edited rc.local to eliminate xdm's
command line from the script.  During the bootup, I noticed that the
computer was indicating that it had no open ports.  On reboot, the machine
consistently froze when trying to start the sendmail daemon, and indicated
that it couldn't bind ssh to port 22 because the port was already in use
(indicated during the DEVFS initialization).  Upon logging in, I could
only get intermitent network support, usually being forced to reboot the
machine in order to make telnet work.  Occasionally, it'd flash the
warning devstat_(I can't quite remember) < 0 on boot up.  I've tried
reinstalling, but the boot disk just doesn't find my gateway or
nameserver.  The real kicker is that everything worked the way it was
supposed to under windows95.  I tried to mount devfs and do something to
it, but failed miserably.  I've tried going through my /etc and looking
for modified files, and I've tried messing with the physical
configuration (ie rearranging the cards).  As for my hardware setup, we're
looking at 2 ethernet cards (vx0 to the rest of the world, de0 for 10baseT
connections), an ATI graphics card (mach 64), and an ISA controller for a
1x cdrom.  I'm really at a loss to explain this and any help you can offer
would be most appreciated.
Paul