Date:      Tue, 08 Jul 1997 13:20:47 +0200
From:      Kent Boortz <kent@erlang.ericsson.se>
To:        steveh@cetus.digicon-brs.com.au
Cc:        kent@erlang.ericsson.se
Subject:   Re: Vanishing FreeBSD Partitions

Do you write to your DOS partition from FreeBSD? This is probably not
relevant to your setup but I managed to do a very stupid thing....

I had a disk crash (my fault) so I removed the old partitions and
repartitioned the drive.  Discovered that Windows95 was still
there. Great. I ran 'defrag' and 'scandisk' to verify that the Win95
partition was ok. I was lazy and thought "Why not keep it". I will
never do that again.

I installed FreeBSD on a partition (slice) above the Win95 partition.

I knew the new partitions wasn't exactly as big as the old ones. The
Win95 partition happened to be a little smaller than before. This
moved the FreeBSD partition down on the disk. Problem was that I
assumed that the information a OS uses about a partition was taken
from a central block on the disk, not locally in the partition itself.
So Windows95 thought it was having a larger partition than I gave
it. In effect I had two overlapping partitions!

I didn't find out about that until I installed some more games
on the Windows95 partition and filled that partition up.
It wiped out the first part of the FreeBSD partition. The "/etc"
directory was completely gone 8-(

I'm still not sure what I should have done to remove the Win95
partition completely. Removing the partition in fdisk didn't help. I
suspect that a format would have used the information inside the
partition as well. And after getting into this disaster I had trouble
fixing this problem because fdisk got confused when the partition map
and the information inside the partition didn't match and refused to
take away the partition. I don't even remember how I finally solved it
after hours of "trail and error".

/kgb