Date:      Thu, 12 Sep 1996 15:04:03 +0200 (MET DST)
From:      grog@lemis.de (Greg Lehey)
To:        jkh@time.cdrom.com (Jordan K. Hubbard)
Cc:        FreeBSD-current@FreeBSD.ORG (FreeBSD current users)
Subject:   Re: Build is complete

Jordan K. Hubbard writes:

>>> you don't have vn configured into your kernel. :-)
>>
>> Indeed.  I suppose this should be documented.
>
> And indeed it is, on page 220 of your very own "The Complete FreeBSD"
> book. :-)

What did I tell you?  RTFM!

More seriously, what it says (said) is:

  Vnode driver.  Allows a file to be treated as a device after being
  set up with the \fIvnconfig\fP command.  This driver can be useful
  for manipulating floppy disk images and using a file as a swap
  device (e.g. an MS Windows swap file). Optional.

Nothing there about needing it for building a release.  I've changed
it to the following, which I submit for general comments and flames:

  Vnode driver.  Allows a file to be treated as a device after being
  set up with the \fIvnconfig\fP command.  This driver can be useful
  for manipulating floppy disk images and using a file as a swap
  device (e.g. an MS Windows swap file).  You also need this driver if
  you want to build a FreeBSD release, which you might want to do to
  get a boot floppy.  This book doesn't discuss boot floppies in any
  more detail.

Greg