Date:      Tue, 17 Oct 2000 08:51:19 +0300
From:      Giorgos Keramidas <keramida@ceid.upatras.gr>
To:        David Scheidt <dscheidt@enteract.com>
Cc:        Kris Kirby <kris@catonic.net>, freebsd-chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Traditional UN*X conventions (Or: Why not to login as root?)

On Mon, Oct 16, 2000 at 03:30:16PM -0500, David Scheidt wrote:
> On Sun, 15 Oct 2000, Kris Kirby wrote:
>
> It's much harder to shoot yourself in the foot if you aren't waving a
> loaded gun at it all the time.
>
> % cd rm -rf * .bak
>
> done as dms will annoy me and send me scurrying for the backup tapes
> or disks.  Done as root, I'll be much more than annoyed.  I'll have
> users after me!  And a wasted evening while I rebuild the system.  I
> don't do anything as root, with the exception of user administration,
> and installing or removing software.

...and reading the logs, I would add :-)

A very informative post there, David.  I have to admit that I laughed
my stomach out when I remembered running something similar like root,
namely:

    % rm -fr * ~

Certainly one of the funniest things you can run when your current
working directory is / and you are logged in as root.  This is probably
why I customarily use find(1) now, with xargs, and after I carefully
check the output of find, only then I append the required 'xargs rm' to
remove files.

Ah well, rusty old habbits of a silly user who's afraid of his own guns.