Date:      Mon, 9 Oct 2000 10:01:28 -0700
From:      "Elitetek" <freebsd@tekrealm.net>
To:        <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: BIOS unsupported HDDs

> * Mark Hummel <mhumm@ispchannel.com> writes:
>
> > Odhiambo,
> > 4.1.1 will recognize a 20 GB HDD even if the BIOS does not?  That's
amazing!
> > How can an OS recognize hardware without consulting the BIOS?
>
> > I'm anxious to read your reply, but in the mean time, I will begin
preparing to
> > upgrade my FBSD system to 4.1.1.  BTW, is that version current or
stable?

> > Mark
>
> > Odhiambo Washington wrote:
>

> FreeBSD (I think) does not use the BIOS for much information.  Case in
> point, I have a 17.2G HD that my BIOS probes as 8G.  FreeBSD sees the
> entire drive and I am using just fine as my primary master (so, yes, I
> am booting fine off the drive.)
>
> --
> Jonathan Fosburgh
> Open Systems
> Communications and Computer Services
> UT MD Anderson Cancer Center
> Houston, TX

For the most part with large Hardrives, including that 40gig mentioned
earlier in this thread, if you set the bios to auto (ewww.. but it works)
for
that channel that the hardrive is on, it can usually be detected, and will
work just fine if the o/s knows how to handle it. matter of fact thats how
i got my 40 gig drive to work with FreeBSD. And i believe Maxtor just
released an article about a week ago if I remember correctly, that states
after a certain amount of cylinders that you *have* to use auto, or it wont
work correctly.

Im currious if that person has tried that yet, i havent followed the thread
completely, but i seen pplz telling him to switch it to none, and a bunch
of other options.

also another possible solution is to set the bios for type 9 if it has it,
if it doesnt use Type 47 (should be user) 1024 cyl 16 heads 63 sectors

Then try Installing FreeBSD, then it should pick up the full size

(i have not tried that on FreeBSD, but it works on other O/S's and from
what i can tell of bsd, it should work with it also)

EliteTek