Date:      Thu, 04 Sep 2003 11:17:06 +0200
From:      des@des.no (Dag-Erling =?iso-8859-1?q?Sm=F8rgrav?=)
To:        underway@comcast.net (Gary W. Swearingen)
Cc:        freebsd-chat@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Ugly Huge BSD Monster

underway@comcast.net (Gary W. Swearingen) writes:
> Typical PDF files are "open", but some PDF fils have "security"
> features (eg, to prevent printing or copying).  Sklyarov and his
> employer got in trouble over some software that could break similar
> security features of a different Adobe product.  So PDF files which
> use PDF security features are presumably covered by the DMCA too.

I've had some experience with "locked" PDF files (online manuals which
were marked as "unprintable" so as not to compete with the print
version available in bookstores).  I was not able to print them
directly, but simply converting them to PS using Ghostscript worked
fine, and there was no problem at all printing the resulting PS
(except for the non-standard paper size).

DES
--=20
Dag-Erling Sm=F8rgrav - des@des.no