Date:      Tue, 23 Jan 1996 22:45:31 -0500 (EST)
From:      "Marc G. Fournier" <scrappy@ki.net>
To:        Terry Lambert <terry@lambert.org>
Cc:        Randy Katz <randyk@ccsales.ccsales.com>, questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Login Name Length

On Tue, 23 Jan 1996, Terry Lambert wrote:

> > What limits the length of user logins to 8 characters and how might this
> > be changed? We need 15 or more.
>
> Modify the header file and rebuild the world.
>
> Note hat you will break interoperability with standard wire protocols,
> like YP, if you change the length of the name field.  If you can live
> with that, and you have enough room to rebuild the world, go for it.

	Just curious, but if the machine I did this on were only a
ypclient, I would assume that there wouldn't be any problems, as the server
would still only send an 8char userid.  Is this a correct assumption, and
if not, why not?

Marc G. Fournier | POP Mail  Telnet Acct  DNS Hosting
System           |  WWW Services   Database Services  | Knowledge,
  Administrator  |                                    | Information and
 scrappy@ki.net  |      WWW: http://www.ki.net        | Communications, Inc