Date:      Fri, 6 Mar 2015 14:16:48 -0800
From:      Charles Swiger <cswiger@mac.com>
To:        Mike Meyer <mwm@mired.org>
Cc:        freebsd-ports@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: License compatibility issues?

On Mar 6, 2015, at 1:39 PM, Mike Meyer <mwm@mired.org> wrote:
> After a discussion on another list, I'm wondering if anyone has ever =
done
> anything to verify that the license requirements of the dependencies =
of a
> package (I don't know of any licenses that would cause problems for a =
port,
> as those don't involve distribution of derived works in the form of a
> binary) are actually met?

Yes.  It is considered the responsibility of the port maintainer to
set NO_PACKAGE, RESTRICTED, etc appropriately for the default port =
options
so that the precompiled packages provided by the FreeBSD project are
legally OK to redistribute.

If an end-user chooses to select different dependencies, then they are
responsible for those choices.

> For instance, a port licensed under the EPL that is statically linked =
with a
> GPL'ed library would produce a binary that couldn't be legally =
distributed.

That is a concern, but end-users of the ports can still compile the two =
together
and use the result, even if they cannot legally redistribute the =
combination
to others.

Regards,
--=20