Date:      Sun, 29 Apr 2018 12:08:38 +0300
From:      =?UTF-8?Q?Kristaps_=C4=8Civkulis?= <kristaps.civkulis@gmail.com>
To:        sj126@uranus.uni-freiburg.de
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Dual Boot with GRUB next to GNU/Linux "Debian"

> Just to get it unambiguous: Is the "FreeBSD pre-partition" an unallocated space
> or an empty partition, which is unmounted or ... ?
> Btw, does the unallocated space physically need to be at a stretch? (How) Does
> the partition manager arrange the physical position of partitions?

You just have to shrink one of your current partitions to leave enough
unallocated space (at least 1GB), and FreeBSD installer will
automatically find that unallocated space and create needed
partitions. The term "empty partition" was wrong, my bad.
Unallocated space has to be contiguous.

> As (nearly) always in the world of Free Software, I can (successfully) use
> whichever partition manager I want for this, can't I? Or is efibootmgr more
> suitable for this task?

Yes, you can use any partition manager you want. But efibootmgr is
different kind of tool, completely unrelated to partition managers.

If you have UEFI firmware, you can change your boot order, add/delete
boot entries and manually choose entry from your boot menu (load GRUB
from this location, or load FreeBSD from that location, or try to boot
from CD, DVD, USB etc). To change your boot order or add/delete boot
entries you can use, for example, efibootmgr on Linux. On my machine
FreeBSD installer didn't automatically add new boot entry, so I had to
add it manually through Linux by using efibootmgr with command
# efibootmgr -c -d /dev/sda -p XX -L "FreeBSD Loader" -l "\EFI\BOOT\BOOTX64.EFI"
where XX is the number of EFI partiton created by FreeBSD installer
(/dev/sdaXX).