Date:      Thu, 21 Feb 2008 08:57:51 +0100
From:      Jeremie Le Hen <jeremie@le-hen.org>
To:        "Bruce M. Simpson" <bms@FreeBSD.org>
Cc:        freebsd-net@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: Two interfaces sharing the same IP address: how to change default route's interface on link change?

Hi,

On Wed, Feb 20, 2008 at 01:18:03AM +0000, Bruce M. Simpson wrote:
>  Jeremie Le Hen wrote:
> > In summary, favor wired connectivity over the wireless one, at any time:
> > could this be at boot time or not.
> >
> > I'm pretty sure I'm not the only one who wants this kind of setup.  So
> > how did you achieve this setup?
>
>  The forwarding code needs to be changed to support the notion of a floating
>  static, regardless.
>
>  Recall that in BSD default routes configured statically, whether manually or
>  by DHCP, have the RTF_STATIC flg set.
>
>  Currently, the BSD behaviour is NOT to update the rt_ifp for an RTF_STATUC
>  route when ifadown is called. I believe this to be correct and honours the
>  original API contract of RTF_STATIC. It is not what you desire in your use
>  case however.
>
>  Configuring ifstated to manually replumb addresses and routes is probably an
>  easier place to start. Seamless migration is not possible yet; generally
>  sockets are tied to the interface where they were implicitly bound, also
>  nexthop selection happens purely on the basis of destination address.

Thank you for your explanation.  Even though it is quite clear to me, I
think re-architecturing the routing code is out of my knowledge.

FWIW, I've just set the the workaround suggested by Niki Denev in the
other reply, which uses lagg(4) with the failover protocol, and it works
pretty well.

Thank you.
Best regards,
--