Date:      Fri, 27 Aug 1999 04:44:32 +0200
From:      Michel Davoudian <md@convair.com>
To:        "stable@FreeBSD.ORG" <stable@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Upgrading to 3.2

Hi evryone,
I used a 2.2.6 for a year without problems and had the good idea to
upgrade to 3.2 stable.
The process was smooth ... until I updated the rc.conf file and wrote a
mistake in it (kind of bad quote somewhere..)

Now I have the following problem : I can't boot any Kernel . I always
get the error message :
etc/default/rc.conf : 222 : Syntax error : EOF in backquote
substitution.
Enter full pathname of shell or RETURN for /bin/sh: I type <RETURN> and
get following prompt:
[\u@\h \W]#

mount command gives : wds01a on / (local, read-only) and HERE is the
problem : The filesystem is read-only and consequently I can't delete
rc.conf nor rename rc.conf.previous in order to correct my mistake.

Other detail, I can't see any DIR called /etc/default and the files
rc.conf + rc.conf.previous are in the /etc DIR

I quickly gave life back to an old Linux 2.034 server who was retired
(DX2-66 !) and try to find a solution...

Thanks for any hint to make this filesystem writable. I tried many
options of the mount command but maybe  my ideas are not so clear now...

Michel