Date:      Sat, 11 Mar 2000 13:02:54 -0800
From:      David Greenman <dg@root.com>
To:        Rahul Siddharthan <rsidd@physics.iisc.ernet.in>
Cc:        Brett Glass <brett@lariat.org>, Darren Henderson <darren@nighttide.net>, freebsd-chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: The Merger, and what will its effects be on committers?

>The sort of question to be answered is not, should the FreeBSD
>docs cite Cheapbytes as a supplier, but -- if some other company
>like Red Hat came along and wanted to package FreeBSD in linux
>style -- GUI install, packages, etc, etc -- performing real
>"value addition" in commercial words -- should they be allowed to
>call it FreeBSD, and what should the conditions be for that. And
>yes, it should not be left to Walnut Creek, but to some committee
>whose credentials are beyond doubt. But it may be unreasonable to
>ask that no employees of Walnut Creek be involved in the process
>at all.
>
>Incidentally, I think someone seriously suggested Linux International
>on this list, as a suitable body to police the trademark.

   We're working on forming the FreeBSD Foundation. The trademark is going to
be transfered to the Foundation as soon as it is formed. This was agreed to
as part of the BSDI/WC merger (since the 'FreeBSD' trademark is currently held
by WC CDROM, and the 'BSD' trademark is held by BSDI). Before this transfer
occurs, it is also agreed to that the FreeBSD core team has the exclusive
right to determine what products can be labeled with the FreeBSD trademark.
I hope this finally puts this concern to rest.

-DG

David Greenman
Co-founder/Principal Architect, The FreeBSD Project - http://www.freebsd.org
Creator of high-performance Internet servers - http://www.terasolutions.com
Pave the road of life with opportunities.