Date:      Thu, 12 Sep 2002 13:45:30 -0700 (PDT)
From:      John Polstra <jdp@polstra.com>
To:        hackers@freebsd.org
Cc:        dwhite@gumbysoft.com
Subject:   Re: bge problems (was: gigabit NIC of choice?)

In article <20020912124621.I82726-100000@carver.gumbysoft.com>,
Doug White  <dwhite@gumbysoft.com> wrote:
> While we're nitpicking:
>
> On Wed, 11 Sep 2002, John Polstra wrote:
>
> > All of the documentation and errata for the BCM570x chips are
> > protected by NDA, just like every other gigabit MAC in current
> > production.
>
> Through the graciousness of Intel we also have a contributed driver for
> their gig-e cards (em).  Thanks to all who lined that up, it works great.

What is it you are "nitpicking" about?  My posting you quoted
mentioned the em driver as the only game in town if you want a
supported driver.  I too am grateful to Intel for providing this and
for keeping it up to date.  It's more than the other vendors do for
us.

However, just like almost all the other gigabit chips, if you want to
get docs or errata on the Intel devices you are going to have to sign
an NDA.  That's true even for their 10/100 chips.

> But broadcom does take the cake for being anal about NDAs.

Intel is pretty anal about them too. :-(

John
--
  John Polstra