Date:      Tue, 18 Jan 2000 12:04:14 +1100 (EST)
From:      Carl Makin <carl@xena.aipo.gov.au>
To:        "David O'Brien" <obrien@FreeBSD.ORG>
Cc:        freebsd-current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: 3.4 -> current upgrade/bootstrap problem

Hi David,

On Mon, 17 Jan 2000, David O'Brien wrote:

> On Mon, Jan 17, 2000 at 12:39:12PM +1100, Carl Makin wrote:
> > Here is what I did...

> > 1.  install gcc 2.95 port.
> > 2.  cd /usr/bin and rename cc and gcc to *.old and symlink cc and gcc to
> >     /usr/local/bin/gcc295 (Remember to delete the .old entries once you're
> >     finished)

> This is definately the wrong thing to be doing.  I don't guarentee that
> the GCC 2.95 port can properly build world or kernels on 3.4.  Anyway,
> the upgrade should be self-hosting, and this approach isn't.

Yes, I thought it wasn't ideal either but gcc 2.7.2.1 that comes with
3.4-RELEASE doesn't seem to be able to build the world OR the kernel at
the moment.

At least with the above steps I got the system up enough to be able to
rebuild world and the kernel with the 4.0 toolset.

I also had problems with "genassym".  I had to build and install it before
I could compile the kernel.

Carl.