Date:      Thu, 7 Sep 1995 22:02:22 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Branson Matheson <branson@dvals1.larc.nasa.gov>
To:        chuckr@Glue.umd.edu (Chuck Robey)
Cc:        e.knight@ix.netcom.com, partek@indecent.com, questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: 2.1.0-RELEASE

> > >They say it is comming out this month.  However,  It will take Walnut Creek
> > Cdrom probably 3 to 4 weeks to get the CDs manufactured after the release is
> > issued.  Then If you are a subscriber you will be last in the queue to get
> > the CDROM.  I have been told by the folks at Walnut Creek that when they get
> > product if someone calls in that their CDROM will be shipped the same day
> > and that subscribers to the product have to wait for one mass pressing of
> > the cdrom which costs them approximately $0.67 and they sell for $39 regular
> > and $25 for subscription.  Their attitude towards those of of us who have
> > been supporting them through subscription is convoluted.

 Not Generally... and considering the resources that they allow us... that is
an _extremely_ small price to pay.

> > While I'm on a roll,  I can't quite figure out where the dividing line
> > between FreeBSD.org and Walnut Creek Cdrom is.  Many of the "officials" of
> > FreeBSD.org are employyees of Walnut Creek Cdrom.

 I have to ask the question: Why are you concerned about it? Quite frankly
I have to say that that relationship is one of the most benefical things to
come out of the support that WC gives us. And I think that it is great
that the "officials" of FreeBSD.org also have a place to work that is
sooooo much involved in our support.

> Ted, while it's possible for the relationship to be the way you describe,
> past history shows it isn't so.  FreeBSD has benefitted enormously by the
> friendly ties with Walnut Creek.  It doesn't take 3-4 weeks, at least it
> hasn't for me, and exactly where do you think all this FreeBSD
> development would be taking place, if not for Walnut Creek's machines?
> Granted, there are other folks machines available, but not on that order
> of donation.  Have you logged into WCARCHIVE.CDROM.COM lately, and seen
> how much machine is devoted to FreeBSD?  There are some other cdroms
> avilable that way, but FreeBSD dominates, both in disk space and (more
> importantly) in network resources, expensive ones.

 AMEN!!!

> The only reason that I'm replying is because some folks, in reading your
> post, and not knowing the history of the FreeBSD/Walnut Creek history,
> might get the wrong idea.  Your mysterious comment about a funny
> relationship between some FreeBSD developers and Walnut Creek, well, it
> bears an unpleasant similarity with scenes from the communist witch hunts
> of the fifties.  If you have complaints, be specific, don't hint at it.

 Agreed... certianly be specific here where you are certian to stir up a
hornets nest of responses ;-)

 -branson

--
MATHESON, E BRANSON                             E.B.MATHESON@LaRC.NASA.GOV
    Mail Stop 488                            COMPUTER SCIENCES CORPORATION