Date:      Sat, 30 May 2009 19:59:52 +0200
From:      Mel Flynn <mel.flynn+fbsd.questions@mailing.thruhere.net>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Cc:        Zbigniew Szalbot <z.szalbot@lcwords.com>
Subject:   Re: Best practices in finding out a trojan

On Saturday 30 May 2009 19:40:55 Zbigniew Szalbot wrote:

> I know this has practically no connection with FreeBSD but I have a site
> on a shared hosting and it appears the site got a trojan called
> JS:Cruzer-D. I cannot find anything about it as it appears to be
> relatively new (28 May). Anyway, I am trying to browse through the joomla
> cms files in hope of locating it. I haven't seen anything suspicious with
> the file modification time (and I have checked those which have been
> modified within 48h period.

Normally, grep and find would do it, or running clamav over the system.
However, from what I'm reading on the web, avast gives false positives for
this trojan. Even flagging a gif image:
http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=45730.msg383138#msg383138

So I wouldn't worry about finding it, but more about informing your users that
there is no trojan on the site and that they should complain with avast about
this issue.
You could ask visitors to try and identify the file that sets off this false
positive. Procedure for that is described in above post.
--
Mel