Date:      Sat, 15 Jun 1996 21:02:24 -0700 (PDT)
From:      "JULIAN Elischer" <julian@ref.tfs.com>
To:        joerg_wunsch@uriah.heep.sax.de
Cc:        freebsd-current@FreeBSD.org, james@expresslane.ca
Subject:   Re: UIDs greater than 65535 ?

> As James FitzGibbon wrote:
>
> > But pw_scan.c uses this check routine :
> >
> > 	if (id > USHRT_MAX) {
> >                 warnx("%s > max uid value (%d)", p, USHRT_MAX);
> >                 return (0);
> >         }
> >
> > So that although a userid can have a 32-bit value, the password scanning
> > routines won't allow anything higher than 16 bit.
> >
> > Is this just an oversight (i.e. can we just change the constant in
> > pw_scan.c? ) or are there other reasons why the UIDs are limited to 16-bit
> > ?
>
> I think that's for hysterical raisons.  Perhaps older (unsupported)
> file systems like SYSVFS might break, as well as Yellow Plague.
We currently modify this to complain, but continue working
at my present employer..
I think I would like to submit a patch to make thios standard because we need
UIDs > 16 bits and it IS legal but sometimes undesirable..
therefore it should be possible but annoying..
i.e. complains but continues...

julian(E)