Date:      Sun, 17 Jan 2016 13:04:01 +0000
From:      Matthew Seaman <matthew@FreeBSD.org>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Fortran compiler

--IFIxiWNv78Kf7iMj4V5Fm1so8xOrjqMFO

On 16/01/2016 22:15, john.haraden--- via freebsd-questions wrote:
> When will the base system ship with a fortran compiler?  GCC is
> cumbersome and requires special linking commands to form an
> executable file from compiled object files.  Why not resurrect the
> old f77?

It is unlikely that the base system will ever re-import a Fortran
compiler.  Fortran is not required to build the base system, nor is it a
POSIX requirement, so like all other languages in that class -- many of
which are of significantly greater popularity than Fortran nowadays --
you'll simply have to install it from ports.

GCC's command line for linking objects into an executable can be
complicated, but that's not significantly different compared to c or c++
programs and not significantly different when compiling using the LLVM
toolchain.  Much of that complexity only occurs when linking against
large external bodies of code, like QT or Gnome.

	Cheers,

	Matthew