Date:      Mon, 13 Mar 2006 15:44:55 +0100
From:      Bernd Walter <ticso@cicely12.cicely.de>
To:        Steve Rikli <sr@genyosha.net>
Cc:        freebsd-alpha@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: DS10 6.0 new install hangs mounting root from ufs:/dev/ad0a

On Mon, Mar 13, 2006 at 06:36:22AM -0800, Steve Rikli wrote:
> On Mon, Mar 13, 2006 at 08:38:40AM +0100, Wilko Bulte wrote:
> > On Sun, Mar 12, 2006 at 08:03:35PM -0800, Steve Rikli wrote..
> > > Just finished an apparently uneventful install of 6.0 from CD
> > > onto a DS10.
> > >
> > > The system hw is all healthy AFAI can tell -- it was previously
> > > running OFS1 okay.
> > >
> > > The 6.0 install finshed and I rebooted -- last thing it ever
> > > says on serial console is:

> > >   Waiting 5 seconds for SCSI devices to settle
> > >   Trying to mount root from ufs:/dev/ad0a
> > >
> > > and then nothing.  No more <cr> or ^c or the like do anything.
> > >
> > > I've included as much of the serial console output as I could
> > > capture.  Suggestions/help/etc. very welcome.
> >
> > ATA support appears to be hosed on Alpha, and from looking at it this
> > has been a problem for a long time.  I run my DS10s with SCSI and
> > did not notice any problems on those.  It is also not only ATA on DS10
> > that has problems, my 164SX also suffers from it.
>
> Which SCSI controller & drive do you use?
>
> I suspected ATA was simply out in the weeds, so I installed an isp
> and then later an ahc -- using a Hitachi 36GB (DK32DJ-36MW) caused
> a panic during the device probing while booting the 6.0 install CD.

I personally prefer sym(4) based controllers, but isp(4) ones are
usually fine as well.
Never had success with ahc(4) based on any alpha - although some
persons claim to run them.

> An 18GB Hitachi passed the probing, but the sysinstall never found
> the drive to open for partitioning, even though the probing showed
> it as da0.

Sysinstall is picky about old contents.
Clearing the first few sectors will help.

--
B.Walter                http://www.bwct.de      http://www.fizon.de
bernd@bwct.de           info@bwct.de            support@fizon.de