Date:      Thu, 21 Aug 2008 10:48:26 -0400
From:      Alex Aminoff <aminoff@nber.org>
To:        freebsd-usb@freebsd.org
Subject:   USB thumb drive does not newfs under FreeBSD 7.0 (but does under 6.2)

We seem to have a USB thumb drive that works under FreeBSD 6.2 but
does not newfs under 7.0. We hope that there is some package or
library we have failed to upgrade. Any advice on how to proceed to
resolve this would be greatly appreciated. If this is the wrong place
to ask, please point us to the correct place.

The versions of FreeBSD in question are

6.2-RELEASE-p9
vs
7.0-RELEASE-p2

both are generic kernels. It is the same hardware booted to one or the
other OS.

dmesg says:

da1 at umass-sim0 bus 0 target 0 lun 0
da1: <USB 2.0 USB Flash Drive 1100> Removable Direct Access SCSI-0 device
da1: 1.000MB/s transfers
da1: 15424MB (31588352 512 byte sectors: 255H 63S/T 1966C)

 # fdisk -I /dev/da1

succeeds on both OSs

 # newfs /dev/da1s1

On 6.2, this succeeds, and we can mount
and use the filesystem. On 7.0, newfs dies with

 cg 0: bad magic number

Some searching on that error string turns up stuff about needing to
reserve space at the beginning of a disk for the partition table. We
have tried adjusting the parameters of the slice with fdisk with no
success. In any case it seems strange that this would happen under 7
but not 6.2.

Thanks,
  - Alex Aminoff
    BaseSpace.net
    National Bureau of Economic Research (nber.org)