Date:      Fri, 28 Jan 2005 10:28:37 +0100
From:      Christian Hiris <4711@chello.at>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org, Chad Morland <cmorland@gmail.com>
Subject:   Re: RAID1, a failed disk and performance

--nextPart1302693.ax1jV1fY2j

On Thursday 27 January 2005 23:12:23, Chad Morland wrote:
> > http://members.chello.at/freebsd-5.3/bonnie-gmirror/summary
> > http://members.chello.at/freebsd-5.3/bonnie-gmirror/detail
>
> I expect to see data transfer rate increase when you break the mirror.
> RAID1 has the higest disk overhead of all RAID configurations and is
> very inefficient in that regard. It would be interesting to see
> performance results with the bad disk still attached to the mirror.
> Unfortunately I am not able to break disks on a whim so I can't test
> it out. :P

I also run the bechmarks with the gnop class invoked. It seems that the 'gn=
op=20
=2Df nnn' option doesn't work, so that I couldn't observe any significant=20
performance differences. I own several really nice broken IBM SCSI disks, b=
ut=20
they are broken in such a way, that the mirrors break immediately after=20
hitting the damaged areas. Maybe it's the better solution to run smartd fro=
m=20
ports/smartctl and replace flaky disks asap.    =20

=2D-=20
Christian Hiris <4711@chello.at> | OpenPGP KeyID 0x3BCA53BE=20
OpenPGP-Key at hkp://wwwkeys.eu.pgp.net and http://pgp.mit.edu