Date:      Sat, 24 Jan 2004 23:49:27 -0700
From:      "Chad Leigh -- Shire.Net LLC" <chad@shire.net>
To:        descarte@fruitbat.demon.co.uk
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD AMD64 malloc(), mmap()

On Jan 24, 2004, at 4:35 PM, descarte@fruitbat.demon.co.uk wrote:

> Hi. I can't find a direct answer for these two linked questions, hence
> the query to this email address.
>
> We're looking into FreeBSD running on Athlon64 processors to give us
> the
> ability to handle seriously huge datasets. We did buy a G5 machine, but
> their implementation of BSD seems still only able to malloc() up to a
> 4Gb process limit which is hardly what their advertising says!

Find the right list at apple to ask this for your G5 machine.  There
are separate libraries for the 64bit malloc etc so to be extra sure go
find the right list at lists.apple.com.  I don't have a G5, still on a
G4, so I don't know the answer myself, but I did read a discussion on a
list a while back that sounded similar.

Chad