Date:      Thu, 14 Oct 1999 08:15:51 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Tom <tom@uniserve.com>
To:        Vadim Chekan <vadim@gc.lviv.ua>
Cc:        "stable@FreeBSD.ORG" <stable@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Resolver in FreeBSD-3.[12] is broken?

On Thu, 14 Oct 1999, Vadim Chekan wrote:

> Hi
>
> It seems, FreeBSD-3.[12] doesn't support RFC-2317 (Classless
> IN-ADDR.ARPA delegation)

  RFC 2137 is supported by definition.  RFC 2137 does not require any
special resolver behaviour.

> From FreeBSD-3.2 (I checked this on 4 machines)
> bash-2.03$ host 212.109.34.132
> 132.34.109.212.IN-ADDR.ARPA is a nickname for
> 132.34.109.212.cscd.lviv.ua

  IN-ADDR DNS for that block is definitely screwed up, because I can't
even get an answer from here.

  Also, "host" in 3.2 can find CNAMEs, so it does not follow the CNAME.  I
think it does an ANY search.

> From FreeBSD-2.2.8 (this is the right ansver)
> bash-2.02$ host 212.109.34.132
> Name: extra.gc.lviv.ua
> Address: 212.109.34.132
> Aliases:

  In this case, the "CNAME" has been followed.  Probably because "host"
did a PTR search instead of any ANY search.

  Whether "host" follows the CNAME or not is irrelevant.  gethostbyname()
should still do the right thing.

Tom