Date:      Sun, 27 Jan 2008 20:27:04 +0200
From:      Alexander Motin <mav@FreeBSD.org>
To:        freebsd-arch@freebsd.org, freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   kstackusage() patch request for comments

Hi.

I have made a patch
http://www.mavhome.dp.ua/kstackusage.patch
that implements machine dependent function returning current kernel
thread stack usage statistics and uses it in netgraph subsystem for
receiving maximum benefit from direct function calls and minimum
queueing while keeping stack protected. As I have never developed
machine-dependant things I would like to hear any comments about it.

The main question I have is about source files and headers I should use
for this specific purposes. Is it correct way to define function in
machine independent header, but implement it in machdep.c? Or I should
define it in machine dependent headers?

Also I would be grateful for help with implementations of this function
for arch different from i386/amd64.

Thanks.

--
Alexander Motin