Date:      Wed, 9 Dec 1998 21:23:39 -0500
From:      Lee Cremeans <lee@st-lcremean.tidalwave.net>
To:        Kenneth Wayne Culver <culverk@wam.umd.edu>, current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: ide_pci.c

On Wed, Dec 09, 1998 at 08:42:42PM -0500, Kenneth Wayne Culver wrote:
> I just thought that someone in here should know this: I have a generic
> dual PCI IDE controller. It can support up to 4 devices. I have 2 hard
> drives on the first controller, and an ATAPI cdrom drive on the second.
> The problem is that when it boots, it says that the controller is simplex,
> and that there is no dma on the secondary channel, and then when it gets
> down to the ISA configuration, it won't find anything on the second
> controller. The only way I could fix it is to go to
> /usr/src/sys/i386/conf/files.i386 and delete the line that specifies
> ide_pci.c

What chipset is on your motherboard, per chance? I have a motherboard with
an Acer Aladdin IV+ chipset, and unless I put "options DISABLE_PCI_IDE" in
my kernel config,  my second channel will not work.  I've been meaning to
look into adding native support for the Aladdin's PCI IDE controller for a
while now, but I haven't had the time (or made the time, really) to do the
work.