Date:      Tue, 04 Aug 1998 21:51:25 -0700
From:      Mike Smith <mike@smith.net.au>
To:        Brett Taylor <brett@peloton.physics.montana.edu>
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: couple of questions

> - maximum file/partition size:
>
> 	- I've seen files (from an ls -l emailed to me) of ~ 7 GB, but
> 	  I'm not sure what the absolute maximum file size is.  Is there
> 	  a hard limit?
> 	- digging through the -current mailing list archive I found a note
> 	  from John Dyson saying the maximum partition size was 512 GB.
> 	  Is this still true (the note was from 97) and if so does it also
> 	  apply to 2.2.7?

As previously discussed, the current cap is at 512GB.

> - swap partitions
>
> 	- what's the maximum swap partition size?  I seem to recall
> 	  reading on -current about someone w/ a 1 GB swap partition, but
> 	  my memory has been known to be faulty.

Swap calculations are generally performed using signed integers to
contain block numbers, so total swap appears limited to about 2^31 * 512
bytes (1TB if my mental shifting is correct).  The partition limit size
is the same for swap partitions.

> 	- what's the maximum number of swap partitions you can have?

The system default is to support 4 swap partitions, however this can be
tuned with the NSWAPDEV kernel option.  There does not appear to be a
trivial limit; the hard limit would be around 2^31 again.

> - multi-disk file systems
>
> 	- in the chart he references Caldera having "md" - I'm not sure
> 	  what this is.  Any ideas?  My interpretation was say /usr on
> 	  1 disk, /tmp on another or something, but I'm still waiting for
> 	  an answer.  If it helps he has "volume sets" listed under NT and
> 	  ODM under SCO Unixware

FreeBSD supports the 'ccd' software RAID0/1 implementation, and a new
implementation of same named Vinum is under development.