Date:      Mon, 30 Nov 1998 12:14:37 +0000
From:      Ben Smithurst <ben@scientia.demon.co.uk>
To:        Ed Suchocki <esuchocki@mediaone.net>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Frustrated with bsd

Ed Suchocki wrote:

> A person must be completely familiar with FTP and Free BSD before
> attempting to download and install it.

Rubbish. True, I was familiar with FTP (which is piss easy anyway) when
I downloaded FreeBSD, but I'm sure you can guess that since I'd
never used it before I knew nothing about FreeBSD itself.

> This operating system is only good to those who already
> know it!

Take out the word "already" and you're probably right. What I'm saying
is that you don't need to know it (or even Unix at all) when you start
using it. I didn't, but I've learnt now and it's a damn good system.

> 	If you know of any sites or books that discuss the features of FreeBSD

I've heard Greg Lehey's book is good, but I don't have the book myself.
(I've read through some of the plain text version on the FreeBSD CDs,
and it looks fairly good, the real version would probably be a lot
better.)

> I'm currently using MS Explorer 4.0 and I do not see any way of starting an
> ftp file transfer (no reference in help).

Well that's just typical of Microsoft help systems, isn't it? Get a
proper FTP program for starters, Win95 does actually have a command
line program called `ftp', which someone else has explained in a bit
more depth. If you'd rather use a gui one (ugh), programs like ws_ftp
and FTP explorer are available.

--
Ben Smithurst
ben@scientia.demon.co.uk