Date:      Fri, 2 Jan 2004 02:26:43 -0800
From:      Kent Stewart <kstewart@owt.com>
To:        Rishi Chopra <rchopra@cal.berkeley.edu>, questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: 'Portsdb -Uu' Fails

On Friday 02 January 2004 01:39 am, Rishi Chopra wrote:
> I'm attempting my first 'portsdb -Uu' after a successful CVSUp, but
> am running into some problems:
>
> idfubar# portsdb -Uu
> Updating the ports index ... perl: not found
> /usr/local/sbin/make_describe_pass2:70:in `write': Broken pipe
> (Errno::EPIPE)
>         from /usr/local/sbin/make_describe_pass2:70:in `puts'
>         from /usr/local/sbin/make_describe_pass2:70
> failed to generate INDEX!
> portsdb: index generation error
>
> Where have I failed?

You may not have. Sometimes people update the ports and leave things
out. If you have done a recent cvsup of ports-all, try the following.

cd /usr/ports
make index
portsdb -u

There are times when portsdb has problems and there are times when
"make index" falls on its face. I had a good "make index" at 0000
UTC.

Kent

--
Kent Stewart