Date:      Thu, 16 Jun 2016 12:42:51 +0200
From:      Ben Woods <woodsb02@gmail.com>
To:        Don Lewis <truckman@FreeBSD.org>
Cc:        fjwcash@gmail.com, freebsd-ports@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: pkg(8) conflicts when install gnome3 - what are they?

On Thu, Jun 16, 2016 at 01:58:31AM -0700, Don Lewis wrote:

> It definitely would be nice if pkg was more helpful about this.
>
> One thing to check is that your currently installed packages are up to
> date.  I've gotten into similar situation when I've forgotten to run
> 	pkg upgrade
> before doing
> 	pkg install
>
> I think that what happens is if I have packages A and B installed, and B
> depends on A, and if A has been updated to A' since A and B were
> installed, then when I try to install C, which depends on A', then pkg
> wants to delete A and install A', which makes in want to delete B as
> well.  If I run pkg upgrade first, then A gets upgrade to A', and I
> don't run into a problem when I then install C.

Indeed, I have come across that before as well.

However, on this occasion I have already ensured that all packages are up to date.
I even went to the extent of removing them all and then re-installing them from
the latest poudriere packages (after a "pkg clean -ay").

There seems to be something inherently conflicting in the gnome3 package and it's
dependencies that will be installed.

The main point of this thread, however, was to discuss how to get pkg to further
explain the conflict.

Regards,
Ben

From: Benjamin Woods