Date:      Tue, 22 Aug 2006 16:14:07 +0100
From:      Sam Eaton <sam@fqdn.net>
To:        stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: bce0: Error mapping mbuf into TX chain!

On Fri, Aug 11, 2006 at 10:27:09AM -0700, David Christensen wrote:

> > The driver seems to work fine now, that test no longer crashes it.  I
> > also did some iperf tests between two machines with these cards ( the
> > other running linux) and I was getting ~950 MBit /sec  between them!
> >
> > Thanks for your help!  I'll keep beating on these machines for a few
> > days to come, but will be so glad to get them into productions,
> > they're so fast!  :-)
> >

> Glad to hear things are working now.

We've also got a Dell 1950, that was exhibiting exactly the same
symptoms.  I manually patched up the bce driver and rebuilt the kernel,
which got me to the point of having a working enough network device to
be able to cvsup to -STABLE and rebuild world and kernel.

However, now we no longer get the 'Error mapping mbuf into TX chain!'
errors, but instead, under quite low network load, we get :

Watchdog timeout occurred, resetting!

Which it never really entirely recovers from, requiring a reboot to get
working networking back again.

I'm a bit at a loss as to what to check next.   Only thing that seems
particularly different to the other systems described above is that we
were running the i386 build, rather than the amd64, so I'm installing
amd64 stable instead, just in case this makes any difference.

I'm happy to provide any debugging output or whatever that might make it
easier for anyone else to help diagnose things...

Thanks,

Sam.
--
"Fortified with Essential Bitterness and Sarcasm"
    Matt Groening, "Binky's Guide to Love".