Date:      Wed, 19 May 1999 18:23:11 -0700
From:      Noah Breslow <noah@teledesic.com>
To:        "'jcb@research.bell-labs.com'" <jcb@research.bell-labs.com>, "'vallo@matti.ee'" <vallo@matti.ee>, "'ghelmer@scl.ameslab.gov'" <ghelmer@scl.ameslab.gov>, "'erik.dezeeuw@wanadoo.fr'" <erik.dezeeuw@wanadoo.fr>
Cc:        "'freebsd-questions@freebsd.org'" <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Setting Bridging in FreeBSD

Hi -

I noticed your recent posts regarding bridging in FreeBSD and the fact
that it may not work under 3.1 RELEASE, and I was wondering if you could
give me some pointers.

I am trying to set up bridging for the first time in FreeBSD, and I
can't seem to get it running. I have 3.1 RELEASE, but I feel that I may
be doing something even more fundamentally wrong. When I set the
bridging variable using sysctl, the machine just hangs. Any ideas why?
Is there documentation available for the exact steps required in setting
up a machine as a bridge? Is all that is needed is to boot the machine
normally, and then set the sysctl variables?

I have a machine that is running 3.1 RELEASE with DUMMYNET and BRIDGE
options enabled in the kernel. I have run dummynet with the machine
configured as a router and it works fine. Do I need to upgrade to 3.1
STABLE? I may try this as it was already suggested in one of the posts.
I am not on the questions list so please cc me in any responses.

Thanks a million,
Noah Breslow

--
Noah Breslow