Date:      Mon, 31 Jul 2006 09:28:36 -0500
From:      Eric <heli@mikestammer.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: ssh problems ...

Kevin Brick wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> I'm trying to ssh to a remote linux PC using the command:
>
> ssh kbX@ssh.abc.org -l kb5 -v
>
> doing this presents me with an error below :
>
> OpenSSH_3.9p1, OpenSSL 0.9.7a Feb 19 2003
> debug1: Reading configuration data /etc/ssh/ssh_config
> debug1: Applying options for *
> debug1: Connecting to ssh.sanger.ac.uk [193.62.203.55] port 22.
> debug1: connect to address 193.62.203.55 port 22: Connection refused
> debug1: Connecting to ssh.sanger.ac.uk [193.62.203.54] port 22.
> debug1: connect to address 193.62.203.54 port 22: Connection refused
> ssh: connect to host ssh.sanger.ac.uk port 22: Connection refused
>
> I've tried also to connect to a nother host (which I know works) with
> similar results.  I'm a bit of a newbie to this whole ssh thing, so I'm not
> sure if I should check for conflicts on port 22, or something like that ?
> I've already disabled my local firewall with no luck, but was wondering if
> the problem could be the overall network firewall blocking my access ?
>
> Thanks for any help ...

i just sshed to ssh.sanger.ac.uk and it connected just fine, so it looks
like you have something going on thats blocking access to the machine in
question. Of course I couldnt connect, but i had to add the host to my
known hosts and it asked me for a PW, etc.

If you are at work, there is most likely a firewall in place blocking
outbound access on everything but a very few select ports (port 80, etc).

can we get some more details on your setup?