Date:      Fri, 16 Apr 1999 17:15:58 +0100
From:      Roger Hardiman <roger@cs.strath.ac.uk>
To:        multimedia@freebsd.org
Subject:   bt848 + teletext decoding

A followup to my recent post about Teletext on bt848 cards.

I still cannot get the Java teletext viewing program
to run in Netscape. I tried 4.04 4.07 and 4.5

However, it does work with the appletviewer in JDK 1.1.7

As a summary.
The bt848 driver outputs raw VBI data (raw data from the top of the TV
signal)
to /dev/vbi.
The vbidecode program reads this and extracts teletext pages. These are
saved
as 100_01.vtx 101_01.vtx 102_01.vtx etc for pages 100,101,102

Then you need a vtx viewer. 2 exist. One is written in Java. It runs
just fine in the
JDK applet viewer. (cannot make it run in Netscape)

One is written in C as an X11 application. It works. Is a pain to set
up. Puts files all
over the place and needs speical X Fonts setting up.
It has many more features. Infact the feature list is very impressive.
But for now
I just want you to experiment with the Java viewer as it is much simpler
to support.

Bye
Roger