Date:      Sun, 11 Apr 1999 01:46:14 -0600 (MDT)
From:      "Kenneth D. Merry" <ken@plutotech.com>
To:        imp@harmony.village.org (Warner Losh)
Cc:        freebsd-scsi@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Initio INIC-941 SCSI controller

Warner Losh wrote...
> In message <199904101747.LAA27237@panzer.plutotech.com> "Kenneth D. Merry" writes:
> : I never knew they had a FreeBSD driver.  Of course I only heard of the
> : existence of the company yesterday.  As far as the copyright on the driver
> : goes, I'm not sure it would be acceptable for the FreeBSD tree, if the
> : driver were ported to CAM.  (someone who knows more about copyright law
> : can look at it and comment)
>
> The copyright looks like a fairly standard BSD one and should pose no
> problems:
>
> ** Copyright (c) 1997-98 Initio Corp.  All rights reserved.
> **
> ** Redistribution and use in source and binary forms, with or without
> ** modification, are permitted provided that the following conditions
> ** are met:
> ** 1. Redistributions of source code must retain the above copyright
> **    notice, this list of conditions and the following disclaimer.
> ** 2. Redistributions in binary form must reproduce the above copyright
> **    notice, this list of conditions and the following disclaimer in the
> **    documentation and/or other materials provided with the distribution.
> ** 3. The name of the author may not be used to endorse or promote products
> **    derived from this software without specific prior written permission.
> **
> <legal disclaimer here omitted>
>
> Number 2 is the only thing that I see might be a problem, but many
> hunks of the kernel have a cluase similar to that.

But that's only one of the files, "I91U.C".  Another one, "I91USCSI.C", has
the following copyright:

/************************************************************************
                Copyright (c) 1994-1998 Initio Corp.
    Initio BSD device driver are copyrighted by Initio Corporation.
    Your rights of ownership are subject to the limitations and restrictions
    imposed by the copyright laws. Initio makes no warranty  of any kind in
    regard to this material, including,  but not  limited to,  the  implied
    warranties of merchantability and fitness  for  a  particular  purpose.
    Initio is not liable for any errors contained  herein  or incidental or
    consequential damages in connection with furnishing, performance or use
    of this material.

And the header file has no copyright.

Hmm, look what I found in "I91U.C":

#include <pci/i91uscsi.c>