Date:      Mon, 02 Nov 1998 06:53:43 -0800
From:      Mike Smith <mike@smith.net.au>
To:        Poul-Henning Kamp <phk@critter.freebsd.dk>
Cc:        "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@time.cdrom.com>, Mike Smith <mike@smith.net.au>, Andrzej Bialecki <abial@nask.pl>, current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: New boot loader and alternate kernels

> >Given the space constraints, one has to wonder whether you have any
> >choice. :-) It would be easy enough to add some simple conditional
> >expression parsing to the existing tiny interpreter, but that wouldn't
> >be anywhere near as flexible.
>
> What exactly are the the space constraints ?
> How many [kK][bB] can we suffer ?

Well, text goes in the low moby, the bss and heap in the high moby.

Seriously, a 512kB execution context limit is reasonable; this is what
we get on the Alpha now that Doug's tweaked the memory allocation.  On
the '386 we have just about everything below the 640k mark, so I figure
512 is a reasonable limit.

For on-disk usage, the key issue to me is avoiding anti-bloatist
complaint (which have their fair justification).  I'd like to think we
can stabilise at an object under the 100k mark, although there are of
course no real hard limits yet.