Date:      Thu, 14 Sep 1995 14:46:28 +0200 (MET DST)
From:      "Christoph P. Kukulies" <kuku@gilberto.physik.RWTH-Aachen.DE>
To:        cofie@pluto.ee.cua.edu (Emmanuel Cofie)
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD

>  I installed FreeBSD on a PC , followed the installation instruction
>  I have been running into some problems
>
>  1.  I can not get the mouse.  My mouse is on com1.  I tried to create a
> tty00 device as suggested in "Configuring X for your hardware" section
>  but MAKEDEV will not create tty00, so I create a /dev/mouse instead

I don't know if this a documentation error (tty00) - use
ttyd0 instead. tty00 is an alternate name but it looks like MAKEDEV
doesn't generate this device anymore.

>  Whwne I tried to execute the "X or xinit" I get the error message
>  " Too many levels of symbolic links"

/usr/X11R6/bin/X is ususally a link to the actual server you want to use,
e.g.

ln -s /usr/X11R6/bin/XF86_S3 /usr/X11R6/bin/X

Look at the files/links in that directory. Maybe something's messed.

You should start X normally by either using

startx at the shell level

or use /usr/X11R6/bin/xdm -daemon in your rc.local script.

> 2.  How do I mouse the hard disk portion (Dos section) and my floppy
>  drives (1.2Mb & 1.44Mb) on unix system.

mouse -t msdos /dev/fd0a /mnt  (I mean mount of course :-)

--Chris Christoph P. Kukulies kuku@gil.physik.rwth-aachen.de