Date:      Mon, 11 Oct 1999 08:55:48 -0700
From:      Gunnar H Reichert-Weygold <postmaster@paganlibrary.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Why use tape for backups? (was: backup method reccommendation?)

> On 10 Oct 1999, Arcady Genkin wrote:
>=20
> > This discussion of backups to tape reminded me that I have always
> > wondered, why do some people chose tape as backup solution for deskto=
> > pc's.
> >=20
> > It seems to me that it's much cheaper, faster, and more reliable to
> > just buy another hard drive and dedicate it for backups.
> >=20
> > Is there any reasons tapes are a better choice?

Over my monitor is a shelf with 8 tapes on it. If I screw up, the system =
screws
up, or Mother Nature is having a bad day... I can backtrack two months.

I work for a tape drive company and the number of calls we get that are e=
ither:

"I live in Florida and hurricane so-and-so is on the doorstep" or
"Yeah, hard drives make good portable backup - the burglar walked right o=
ut the
door with it"

are unbelievable.

Get a removable storage solution. Use it. Remove it. Or lose it.

>=20
--=20
Paradigms - you know what they say, "shift happens."