Date:      Fri, 31 May 1996 19:25:17 GMT
From:      mgessner@winc.com (Matthew Gessner)
To:        hardware@freebsd.org
Subject:   problem with 810MB drive

Hi all,

      I have an 810MB hd (config. 1647/16/63) that I need to use on my FreeBSD
machine.

        The BIOS accepts these parameters, even though it doesn't ask
about LBA.

        When I start the installation, I can configure everything OK,
but when I reboot, the BIOS says No Boot Sector.  I've made sure that
when I created the partitions, I set up the BootMgr to load.

        What am I doing wrong?  I've installed on smaller disks with
just the defaults with no problems.  I've even tried to make multiple
partitions, but the '>' flag shows up on the last one.

        How can I make this work?  Will I need a boot floppy?

        I'm really pulling my hair out with this.  I don't want to have
to pull another, smaller 500MB drive out of another machine.  I need
this one.

        Also, I tried to format the disk under DOS, but it won't even
let me make partitions on the disk.

        When I am in the middle of the installation, the file system
looks OK, and I can do lots of things with it (this is the Alt-F3 screen
while sysinstall is running).

        Thanks in advance,

        Matt Gessner

---
Matthew A. Gessner <mgessner@aristar.com>
Computer Scientist, Aristar, Inc.
Software Systems for Handheld Computers
Akron, Ohio, USA
(330) 668-2267 (Voice)                   (330) 668-2961 (Fax)