Date:      Mon, 8 Dec 1997 19:59:14 -0700 (MST)
From:      Atipa <freebsd@atipa.com>
To:        Mark Mayo <mark@vmunix.com>
Cc:        freebsd-chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   X Conferencing: was [hackers:] Architectural advice needed

> One thing that would have really helped us out that I now see in the
> win95/Mac netscape and mickeysoft conferencing tools is the
> "blackboard" thing - you can scribble and write on a blackboard
> that is shared by all members of the conference. I don't think this is
> present in the Unix version of Netscape 4.0 though... Bummer.

What? You don't like ASCII art?? :)

> One thing is for certain, conferencing tools will almost certainly
> represent a pretty big market in the years to come. Especially once we
> start getting ADSL and cable modem rollouts so you can have an audio/video
> link happening. The FreeBSD project, IMHO, is a shining example of what
> can be accomplished through the Net, and the success is remarkable given
> the relatively primitive tools used!

> If it doesn't already exist, an X conferencing tool certainly seems like
> a neat program "waiting to be created" by some spirited programmer
> out there! :-)

Well, X11 has a pretty big advantage over the rest, since the format is
so standardized and networkable. Try setting a DISPLAY environment on NT.

FreeBSD has all the tools: Bt948/QuickCam/etc drivers, vat/tel, X11, irc,
etc. All it needs is an API and some compression (sxpc?). The only
"feature" the commercial apps have is MMX compression, which does very
well for audio/video compression. Is MMX under NDA only?

I know such a package would be a big value-add to FreeBSD workstations.

Kevin