Date:      Tue, 30 Nov 1999 09:48:05 +1100
From:      Harry Woodward-Clarke <Harry.Woodward-Clarke@S1.com>
To:        Thierry Herbelot <herbelot@cybercable.fr>
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Do I need a 387 to install FreeBSD ?

G'day Thierry,

no, as far as I know, you don't "need" a maths-co-pro (e.g. 387), but if
you don't, you then need to enable the Maths Emulation. Check in the
LINT file (typically /usr/src/sys/i386/conf/LINT) for the section
MATH_EMULATE - here is the extract from mine (2.2.8-RELEASE)...

<snip>
#
# A math emulator is mandatory if you wish to run on hardware which
# does not have a floating-point processor.  Pick either the original,
# bogus (but freely-distributable) math emulator, or a much more
# fully-featured but GPL-licensed emulator taken from Linux.
#
options         MATH_EMULATE            #Support for x87 emulation
# Don't enable both of these in a real config.
options         GPL_MATH_EMULATE        #Support for x87 emulation via
                                        #new math emulator
<snip>

FWIW, my 'GENERIC' has the line "options         MATH_EMULATE
#Support for x87 emulation".

hth,