Date:      Sat, 23 Mar 2002 02:58:22 -0500
From:      Matt Penna <mdp1261@ritvax.isc.rit.edu>
To:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Remote dump/restore very slow

Hello, everyone!

I'm attempting to move 22GB of files from a vinum volume on my old server
on the other side of town to a new machine here. Given the amount of data,
I settled on a dump/restore over the Internet as the cheapest and most
convenient method. I am using a cable modem on both ends.

Now here's the issue. Using the following commands:

dump -0a -f - /mnt/mainvol | ssh -l root xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx 'cd /mnt/mainvol
&& restore -xf -'

seems to yield the expect results, but at a very slow pace. I am receiving
data at the destination machine at a rate of only about 45KB/s; other
operations involving Internet usage typically yield transfer rates of
220KB/s or higher - whether upload or download - on both of the machines.

At 45KB/s, this backup will take nearly a week, which is untenable. Is
there a reason the transmission of data is so slow? The machines are only
10 miles and 4 hops apart.

For the record, I also tried:

dump -0a -f - /mnt/mainvol | gzip -1 | ssh -l root 24.169.196.152 dd
of=/mnt/mainvol/hugefile.gz

with similar results. It works, just very slowly.

Any suggestions on how I might be able to accomplish this operation more
quickly?

I had hoped to be able to back the data up to a local tape drive, then just
bring the tapes over by car and restore, but my 10GB Travan drive broke and
I do not have the money to buy a new drive right now. I'm looking at
getting more tapes for my older 4GB DAT drive, but it has recently been
issuing warnings about unusually high error rates and I'm not sure it's
long for this world, either.

I could, of course, just try to bring the old machine over and work on it
here, but wrecking the machine by getting in an auto accident or dropping
it down the stairs would not be a good thing with no backup around. (The
former happened to someone I know; the latter actually happened to me, once.)

Suggestions or comments would be appreciated. Thanks!

         Matt

--
Matt Penna                                      mdp1261@rit.edu
ICQ: 399825                                     S0ba on AOLIM