Date:      Tue, 28 Jun 2016 22:46:09 -0700
From:      Russell Haley <russ.haley@gmail.com>
To:        Baptiste Daroussin <bapt@freebsd.org>
Cc:        freebsd-ports@freebsd.org, Freebsd-mono <freebsd-mono@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Maintaining mono/.net

On Tue, Jun 28, 2016 at 2:43 AM, Baptiste Daroussin <bapt@freebsd.org> wrote:
> On Mon, Jun 27, 2016 at 11:06:02AM -0700, Russell Haley wrote:
>> Hello Ports Team,

>> discussion on how best to maintain the mono ports/.net ports. One of
>> the things that has come up is maintaining the patches for "all this
>> stuff". The current paradigm in FreeBSD as I understand it is to use
>> the files directory and apply the patches to the port via svn/ports
>> tree. However, with the ubiquity of GitHub in opensource, it now seems
>> to be feesable to simply create a Github accound to maintain a bunch
>> of forked repositories (which is essentially a patched git
>> repository!). This makes it easier to create and apply patches and
>> gives us the natural path to push things back upstream. In the end, we
>> would just pull from the FreeBSD specific repository, which is no
>> different than, say, pulling from the mono project directly.
>>
>> This email is a request for response from anyone on the ports team (or
>> FreeBSD general) to give some input as to the acceptability of this
>> solution, as well as any "gotchas" we haven't thought of yet. Thanks
>> in advance!
>>
> There are absolutely nothing against this. Actually some ports were already
> doing that before the github era :D
>
> The only difficulty the history told us is : when active people get less active
> for various reasons you need to make sure enough people continues to get access
> to the said repo.
>
> Tracking upstream updates because more complicated for people not in the team
> (we already saw in the past ports stucked for more than 5/6 years actions being
> taken (maintainer of the forked becoming mostly MIA)
>
> It also depends how many patches you end up with, I haven't checked the
> mono/.net ports but if that is just a bunch of small patches then the overhead
> is not worth the pain, if there are lots of patches then sure maintaining your
> repo is simpler.
>
> Depending on how active you (the team) are and how close to the upstream you are
> one can also see those repositories as "temporary" until all the amount of
> patches are upstreamed and when done the ports can switch back to the official
> distfiles (this is always a goal for ports upstreaming all our patches so we can
> remain as close as possible from the vanilla sources)
>
> That said I do applause the effort. As a conclusion do what ever you think is
> the easiest mechanism for you as long as things like monodevelop and friends can
> be pushed in a working state again.
>
> Best regards,
> Bapt

Thanks for the input everyone. I think the overhead of keeping
volatile patches in a globally accessible area is worth while. One of
the things I struggled with historically is how to share my local
changes that I couldn't commit to the svn tree.

I have created an open source organization called FreeBSD-DotNet in
Github. I have differentiated from the Mono moniker because the
merging of the frameworks is inevitable with the purchase of Xamarian.

I went a little crazy and forked a whole bunch of stuff, which I now
think is a bad idea. The only thing that currently requires
customization would be the ports tree itself (MonoDevelop doesn't
build yet, but I haven't needed to change any code). However, I think
we can put a bunch of how-to and wiki stuff in there for the
development efforts.

SO, with that: Anyone wishing to join the FreeBSD-DotNet organization
can go to https://github.com/FreeBSD-DotNet and send a request. I'll
try to flesh out an outstanding items list that can be ratified
sometime in the next couple of weeks.

Thanks,

Russ