Date:      3 Jun 2000 15:01:24 +0200
From:      naddy@mips.inka.de (Christian Weisgerber)
To:        freebsd-chat@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Punctuation conventions

Greg Lehey <grog@lemis.com> wrote:

> > American English quotating marks are ``text'', the British seem to
> > prefer `text'.
>
> I don't see that difference.  Typically it's `` and '' for both.

I just checked a few paperbacks (Iain Banks, Arthur C. Clarke,
Stephen Donaldson, Greg Egan) typeset in the UK, and they uniformly
use `...' for first level and ``...'' for second level quotation
marks.

The only two Australian printings I have at hand both have ``...''.

> > German has >>text<< or ,,text``.
>
> Well, ,,text''.

Sorry, but it really is ,,text``.  Or, to give a better description:

                    66
            .  .  .
         99

Books almost universally use inverted guillemets nowadays.  The
type of quotation marks above is mostly limited to magazines and
newspapers.  As mentioned in discussions on de.etc.sprache.deutsch,
some publishers apparently also use guillemets without inversion
<<...>>, but that is rare, at least in Germany (might be different
in Switzerland).

Remarkably, c't and iX use `...'.