Date:      Wed, 15 Sep 1999 12:24:48 -0700
From:      Mike Smith <mike@smith.net.au>
To:        "Daniel Hilevich" <danhil@cwnt.com>
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: How can I send signals to a network interface

Don't do this.  Plain text, please.

> Hi,
> I need to send signals to a network interface I worte but I can't find
> how.

ioctl()

> I know that in some other Bsd flavours you can use the sysctl functions =
> which is part
> of the ifnet struct. In FreeBsd I didn't find anything similiar to it.

Sysctl functions aren't "part of the ifnet struct".  You can define
sysctls for your driver, if you wish, but that's the wrong way to go
about doing it.

> I need to send custom directions to the interface so I can't use the =
> ioctl mechanism.

I can't see why you think this is the case.  See the wl(4) driver for
example of exactly what you're talking about, using ioctl().  See
wlconfig(8) for the user-space portion of the interface.
--
\\  The mind's the standard       \\  Mike Smith
\\  of the man.                   \\  msmith@freebsd.org