Date:      Thu, 22 Jan 1998 17:15:27 -0500
From:      Clendaniel Ian IB <ian.clendaniel@phwilm.zeneca.com>
To:        "'freebsd-questions@freebsd.org'" <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   PPP/tun0 problems....

I was attempting to configure my FreeBSD machine to function as a PPP
router last night and was following the procedures laid out in the PPP
tutorial.  The machine is currently hooked up to a 9-port hub and runs
on the LAN just fine.  But when I attempted to run the ppp command it
returned the following error:

	#ppp
	User Process PPP.  Written by Toshiharu OHNO.
	OpenTunnel: Can't find ifindex.
	Jan 21 21:08:43 kamikaze ppp[299]: Error: OpenTunnel: Can't find
ifindex.
	Jan 21 21:08:43 kamikaze ppp[299]: Error: OpenTunnel: Can't find
ifindex.
	Jan 21 21:08:43 kamikaze ppp[299]: Error: OpenTunnel: Can't find
ifindex.
	open_tun: No such file or directory
	#

This error was after completing all necessary steps listed in the
tutorial.  The kernel is compiled for one tun device and it is listed
when I run ifconfig...the only problem is that it differs slightly from
listing I see everywhere else...here it is:

	#ifconfig tun0
	tun0: flags=8010<POINTOPOINT,MULTICAST> mtu 1500

The one listed in the tutorial and in the handbook is:

	tun0: flags=8010<UP,POINTOPOINT,RUNNING,MULTICAST> mtu 1500

I could not figure out how to change this.  I tried to remake the device
with no luck...it still came up with the same thing.  Any ideas??

Please copy my email address on the message, also, as I'm not subscribed
right now...thanks.

Ian Clendaniel
Zeneca Pharmaceuticals
IT Technician