Date:      Mon, 16 Oct 2000 11:04:54 +0200
From:      Siegbert Baude <siegbert.baude@gmx.de>
To:        Bill Schoolcraft <bill@wiliweld.com>, FBSD <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Manually setting 'dc0' to half-duplex ?

Stupid me, next time I check first :-(

> Shouldnīt work:
>
> ifconfig <driver> media 10baseT/UTP mediaopt half-duplex
>
> But didnīt try myself.
This gives me a "device not configured" error.

At least for the rl driver:
ifconfig <driver> media 10baseT/UTP
refers to half-duplex

and

ifconfig <driver> media 10baseT/UTP mediaopt full-duplex
defaults to full-duplex

Just read in the archives that this is true also for the intel ether express
cards.
The man page for rl is very confusing about this, because the relevant parts
read like:

10baseT/UTP	Set 10Mbps operation.  The mediaopt option can also
		be used to select either full-duplex or half-duplex
		modes.
100baseTX	Set 100Mbps (fast ethernet) operation.  The
		mediaopt option can also be used to select either
		full-duplex or half-duplex modes.
The rl driver supports the following media options:
full-duplex           Force full duplex operation
half-duplex           Force half duplex operation.
*end man page*

This is apparently wrong.  I never checked how to change docs. Anybody has a
suggestion, what I should do now?

Ciao
Siegbert