Date:      Mon, 22 Dec 2008 19:05:32 -0300
From:      Mario Lobo <mlobo@digiart.art.br>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Wireless router?

On Monday 22 December 2008 18:49:44 Nerius Landys wrote:
> I have a PC with FreeBSD set up as a router (NAT). The PC has several
> network cards and I'm grouping the internal-facing network cards as a
> bridge (promiscuous mode for the interfaces).  Everything works well.
>
> Now I'd like to extend my wired network to include wireless.  I really
> have no experience with wireless networks.  I have a couple of
> computers that are wireless-ready (a laptop and a Playstation 3 that I
> won in a raffle).  Is it possible to somehow add some hardware to my
> FreeBSD router PC to make it into a wireless router?  What kind of
> hardware would I install?  What is it called?  The PC only has PCI
> slots, can you recommend a brand and model of "wireless server
> equiptment" if such a thing exists?  Would a normal wireless card
> suffice?  What model should I get?  I would prefer to set up static
> internal IPs for my wireless network at home, would this be possible?
> Or is DHCP the way to go (I hesitate at the thought of configuring a
> DHCP server).
>
> Another way to go is to hook up a standalone wireless router appliance
> to my FreeBSD machine's network interface (one of the interfaces).  I
> already have such a device, I think it's made by Linksys.  But then, I
> would be NAT'ing both through the FreeBSD machine and through the
> wireless router.  So it would be a double-NAT so to speak.  Is there
> anything wrong with that approach?
>
> So in a nutshell, I have a wired FreeBSD router with multiple ethernet
> jacks at home, and I want to extend it to include wireless network.
> Any suggestions would be appreciated.  Thanks.

If you already have a wireless router, all you have to do is to turn it into
an access point to your internal lan. Disable its DHCP server, assign a free
LAN IP to the router LAN ethernet,plug one of its LAN ports into your switch
and assign free LAN IPs to the wireless cards of your LAN machines.

That's what I did here at home and works like a charm.

If you need a DHCP server you have to set it up on the FreeBSD router.
--
Mario Lobo
http://www.mallavoodoo.com.br