Date:      Fri, 29 Jun 2001 03:00:30 -0700
From:      Alex Zepeda <jazepeda@pacbell.net>
To:        "G. Adam Stanislav" <adam@whizkidtech.net>
Cc:        freebsd-chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: US checking accounts for non-US residents

On Wed, Jun 27, 2001 at 02:59:56PM -0500, G. Adam Stanislav wrote:

> Most banks, even in the US, do have monthly minimums and charge you
> "account maintenance fees" if you go below that. That is the fee I
> object to, and refuse to open an account in a bank that has one.

Yup, most banks do charge a monthly service fee.  However, I've found that
Bank of America has an account that works pretty well for me.  No minimum
balance, free ATM, etc.  No monthly fee *if* I direct deposit something
within that statement period.  However they'll hit me up for money if I
visit a live person.

There are probably all sorts of evils with direct deposit, but as long as
I'm working, this becomes essentially an account with no monthly fee.

- alex