Date:      10 Aug 97 12:42:13 +0100
From:      Donald.Burr@234-49-99.swimsuit.roskildebc.dk (Donald Burr)
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   "El Torrito" (bootable CD-ROM), how to use it?

From: Donald Burr <dburr@POBoxes.com>

I understand that the FreeBSD 2.2.2 CD-ROM is a bootable CD-ROM, using "El
Torrito" technology.

I just purchased a new SCSI adapter for my machine (Adaptec AHA-2940AU PCI
UltraSCSI adapter) and I understand that it supports "bootable CD-ROMs"

I have tried booting the FreeBSD CD-ROM (after, of course, enabling the
"Support for bootable CD-ROMs" in the Adaptec BIOS), but it just hangs
after the "system information" screen.  I doo see the CD-ROM drive light
flashing, however.  And I see a message saying something to the effect
that my CD-ROM drive is now known as the A: drive.

I've tried everything I could think of, including removing all
SCSI devices except the CD-ROM, removing all of my expansion cards except
for video and the Adaptec, disabling the on-board floppy controller and/or
my A: drive, etc. but I get the same results.

My SCSI bus is properly terminated, BTW.

Can anyone tell me what (if anything) I am doing wrong here?  Please
e-mail me if possible.  Thanks in advance!

Donald Burr <dburr@POBoxes.com> - Ask me for my PGP key | PGP: Your
WWW HomePage: http://DonaldBurr.base.org/  ICQ #1347455 | right to
Address: P.O. Box 91212, Santa Barbara, CA 93190-1212   | 'Net privacy.
Phone: (805) 957-9666    FAX: (800) 492-5954            | USE IT.